Open source, privacy friendly email app
This email app might be for you if your current email app:
- takes long to receive or show messages
- can manage only one mailbox
- cannot show related messages
- cannot work offline
- looks outdated
- is not maintained
- stores your email on their servers
- is closed source, potentially violating your privacy
- 100 % open source
- Multiple accounts (inboxes)
- Multiple identities (outboxes)
- Unified inbox
- Distraction free reading and writing
- Message threading
- Two way synchronization
- Offline storage and operations
- Material design
- Dark theme
- Preview sender/subject in new messages status bar notification
- Encrypt/decrypt messages using OpenPGP
- Search on server
- Standard answers
- Easy navigation
- No settings
- No bells and whistles
- Allow encrypted connections only
- Accept valid security certificates only
- SMTP authentication required
- Text view only (converted HTML)
- No special permissions required
- No advertisements
- No analytics and no tracking
- IMAP IDLE supported
- Built with latest development tools and libraries
- Android 6 Marshmallow or later required
This app starts a foreground service with a low priority status bar notification to make sure you'll never miss new email.
Frequently asked questions
See here for a list of often asked questions.
- For support on FairEmail, please go here
Contributions to this document and the frequently asked questions are preferred in the form of pull requests.
- You can translate the in-app texts of FairEmail here
- If your language is not listed, please send a message through this contact form
Building FairEmail from source code is straightforward with Android Studio. It is expected that you can solve build problems yourself, so there is no support on building.
Please note that you agree to the license below by contributing, including the copyright.
- JavaMail. Copyright (c) 1997-2018 Oracle® and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved. GPLv2+CE license.
- jsoup. Copyright © 2009 - 2017 Jonathan Hedley. MIT license.
- JCharset. Copyright © 2005-2015 Amichai Rothman. GNU General Public License
- Android Support Library. Copyright (C) 2011 The Android Open Source Project. Apache license.
- Android Architecture Components. Copyright 2018 The Android Open Source Project, Inc. Apache license.
Copyright (c) 2018 Marcel Bokhorst. All rights reserved
FairEmail is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
FairEmail is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with FairEmail. If not, see https://www.gnu.org/licenses/.